SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
purplewang
Style_council
purplewang

You can watch the video here

It’s sad, but these types of people are everywhere—including prestigious universities like UCLA. Watch the whole rant and tell me what you think!

posted over 8 years ago
pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

sigh this video just makes people want to stereotype ignorant people. as an individual, her rant had no tact. i understand that people shouldn’t talk in the library but honestly, she needs to be more socially aware if she wants to even survive her major.

posted over 8 years ago

gwisn2qx
Style_council
gwisn2qx

she should be ashamed of herself. and to mention the tsunami?? O_o"
it’s shocking that:

A) she feels that way
and
B) she thinks that it is OK to broadcast her racist diatribe.

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

yet seems harmless to me. .so she’s stereotyping and is rather ignorant. But that’s just her opinion….freedom to express herself. It does not necessarily mean that all she had to say had any truth in it now, does it?

By talking about it, we are giving her attention, hence more publicity. Soon, she will have her own book about this, which will later be adopted for a blockbuster. Maybe, Cameron Diaz will play her and then, her own line of clothes will be revealed and all of us will be wearing her branded clothes!! So,please shut it…we refuse to wear her line of clothing!
posted over 8 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I’m not going to watch her video and feed the flames, but I think karma will take a toll on her. We live in an age where people don’t stand for that sort of thing anymore and even though freedom of speech protects what you say, it doesn’t protect how people respond. For example, I doubt when after she graduates any companies with staff who are Asian, Asian-American, or just anti-racist in general will be interested in hiring her when they realize she did this video.

posted over 8 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

She truly is one stupid women , – best bits are – in the lib studying political science and stuff – shows shes working hard
Honestly going to the lib must be such a novelty for her, even better is her breasts are popping out while she is trying to talk about an important subject , i dont think she even realised ,

Either she is racist and wanted to complain in a way about something trivial that shows her true colours without being branded as a racist ,

or she had a complaint and just so stupid that she didnt realise targeting asain people would be seen as racist.

posted over 8 years ago

ZoeRae
Style_council
ZoeRae

It was pretty offensive what she said, but she didn’t seem very smart, more like she was just ranting off without thinking. That was the mistake posting something like that for people to be offended. But to be fair, i think everyone pretty much stereotypes others, even if they just think it, she was just dumb enough to post a video about it.

posted over 8 years ago

EveyHoneysuckle
Style_council
EveyHoneysuckle

I’m going to be honest, I don’t think it was COMPLETELY racist. Yes she stereotyped a lot of things like with the “family taking care of the kid,” but that could be anyone. Like, when I go away to college and was able to have family visit, they’ll do that, but it’s not because I’m Asian, it’s because I have a caring family.

And when she discusses the group of Asians in the library, her imitating them on the phone is definitely wrong, but she’s talking about just a group of them, not ALL of them. It’s the same thing when you’re complaining about a group of people who are talking loud and it’s bothering you. If they’re all black, you’re gonna say “Oh that group of black people are talking loud, it’s annoying.” You’re not stereotyping them as loudmouths, you’re stating the facts that they’re loud. And if it was a group of white people, I’d still be like “That group of white kids are talking loud, it’s annoying.” Depending on the tone of manner, it’s not racist, but too many jump the gun immediately the moment they hear something a tiny bit off. The one thing people do is assume the worst immediately.

Yes the hurricane mention is totally inappropiate, yes the fake Asian dialect is inappropiate, and part of the stereotypes of being raised to depend and having “no manners” are inappropiate, but everything else about the library of them talking is just talking on the cell about that group of people that just Asian. Once again, I could say it was a group of white kids, group of black kids, group of Spanish kids, it’s not racist if it’s just complaining. I honestly think this was a bit misinterpreted.

Which is why I believe that it’s just an ignorant girl who’s complaining about noise in the library. She’s not some racist out to smear Asians, she’s just misinformed and whiny.

posted over 8 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

We watched that video, along with a few others, when playing Tosh.0’s “Is It Racist?” in my high school American History class. A lot of people laughed at it, but were still pretty shocked by it. I was frustrated by it, and was glad to hear she did not just get away with it.

posted almost 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I feel like she’s one person, and she’s suffered more as a result of her words than anyone else—the video is pretty much unanimously hated. I heard she dropped out because of all the hate, and people found her address/number and were sending death threats. She just came off as an all-around idiot; her ditzy “omiigawwd, I was like, deep in to my like, ummm political science theories and deep stuff”, her “hi this is america!”, etc. Her apology was pathetic, and I think the only thing she gained was not acceptance of other cultures, but rather fear and even more hatred because of the reaction she received.

what I found is funny is that the video is entirely synonymous with UCLA, and “American” girls—not exactly good rep. You can’t really enforce people from not having certain opinions, but they shouldn’t be stupid enough to vocalize them.

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

I’m not here to condone or hate on ANYONE’S American dream, racist, pacifist, pacific, or otherwise. Welcome to the US, land of total freedom.

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

Though for my two cents, every ‘Asian-American’ I’ve met has been respectful and polite. The most ignorant folks I know, conversely, are the rednecks I go to school with. Hmmm.

francina04
Style_council
francina04

It makes me sick…

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

oh shut it, it’s been done with!

purplewang
Style_council
purplewang

Another racist video just came out here

This one is worse :)

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

Imagine if that was done towards a different ethnicity or race (the new video, I mean). I’m inclined to say that I understand the humor behind it, but the insult is still there. I’m not going to make a big deal about it though because the stereotypes are always out there.

chicprincess
New_user chicprincess is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicprincess reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicprincess

That’s horrible!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password