Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
purplewang
Style_council
purplewang

I’ve been reading about this all day, and am pretty happy he’s been fired from Christian Dior. Who else is disturbed and in shock?

posted over 8 years ago
JeanGreige
Style_icon
JeanGreige

Yeah, I am both disturbed and shocked. I’m glad Christian Dior took such swift and decisive action.

posted over 8 years ago

lucyplease
Style_council
lucyplease

Can someone tell me what he said? I couldn’t find it at all.

posted over 8 years ago

JeanGreige
Style_icon
JeanGreige

Well, first there was an allegation that he made an anti-semetic remark at a cafe. Christian Dior immediately put him on suspension. Then, this video surfaced, taken at the same cafe, months prior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKGqhlRXH0

Christian Dior fired him promptly after this video came to light.

posted over 8 years ago

CutCopyPaste
Style_council
CutCopyPaste

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. Especially after reading some of the comments in the video thinking he shouldn’t be fired for that!! Seriously?

posted over 8 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Supposedly they had been trying to get rid of him for a while due to his excessive drinking, but this was the final straw. It’s disturbing – coming from anyone. It’s horrible that such intolerance still exists.

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

Everybody has their own view of things. I don’t think that has anything to do with his work. Racism exists in various forms but he just made a few comments, that doesn’t mean he did not hire someone or unfairly treated someone at his establishment now, did he?

But his drinking habit should be put into perspective.
posted over 8 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

@gstyle But it does have to do with his work because his actions reflects poorly on the brand, and at the luxury brand level the brand image is just as important as design itself. For better or worse, in this age if you are a high-profile individual, even your private life will be scrutinized as a representation of the brand you carry. People have boycotted organizations for much less, so to Christian Dior he is a liability, and they get better publicity firing him than trying to cover it up as all the drama-seeking journalists ask, “What do they have to say about this?” It was definitely a business consideration.

posted over 8 years ago

rocket_girl
Style_council
rocket_girl

Does anyone have an alternative video link? It’s blocked in my country :(

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

It has a bit to do with work, but it really does not affect his design skills. An apology would have sufficed…too much political correctness these days!

posted over 8 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

If I knew a person was racist in my workplace, I wouldn’t want to work with him or her.

I’m sure he can make his own business, he’s talented. Maybe Mel Gibson can be his first client!

If he really wants his job back, he should just get counseling help with both frustration and alcohol, take a course in diversity studies, learn to empathize to the people he hurt, make an apology speech to the Jewish community. If I see change in him, then I would forgive him.

In the States, you can get fired from your workplace for making racist comments if the owner chooses to do so, but I’m sure you won’t get arrested for being racist. :D

posted over 8 years ago

meganmeenan
Style_council
meganmeenan

such a disgrace the marks he make regardless. yes he was an amazing designer and still is but doesnt make it acceptable. i dont think he should be arrested though and sent to jail. yes its apauling what he said but dont think it deserves jail time

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

If Galliano woud have hired/fired somebody because of his/her religion/race/ gender that would have been a crime but losing his job for going on a rant like that is a bit of an overkill!

posted over 8 years ago

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

Natalie Portman, who was hired to be a muse for their brand, is Jewish. He was making anti-semitic remarks. It has everything to do with work.

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

NO it doesn’t! It’s not like he was targetting her. Period!

posted over 8 years ago

MGNSPR
Style_council
MGNSPR

I completely understand why the brand acted quickly..this is a pr nightmare and can really scare the company. However it is sad to see such a talented member of the fashion world in such a predicament. I don’t know if it just has to do with alcohol or if these remarks actually reflect his true self but either way its a tragedy.

On another note I’m not so sure I agree with the idea of Tisci replacing him. Not to say anything about his actual talent (hes absolutely amazing) but working for such modern and serious(maybe not the right words but..) brand, it will make for quite an interesting future to see how his new job and his past aesthetic will blend together…

posted over 8 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

@gstyle-how is him pretty much saying he hates Jews not targeting her??

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

They both worked for the same company and if he had a problem with her, I’m sure he would have let her know. You cannot take something out of context and make a whole new rant in itself. Maybe it was a drunken slur…how would I know? I wasn’t there. All I am saying is, it is not wise to jump to conclusions without having concrete evidence.

Even if he did say something antisemitic, why is it a crime? If it was something about a different ethnic group, then would it have been fine then? I think everyone should be treated equally regardless of ethnic,religious or any other background.

PS. Do you know what the term ‘semite’ refers to?

posted over 8 years ago

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

You can watch the video so that you can “be there.”

This is why racism, discrimination, and hatred still exists because people find an excuse for everything. It was a “drunken slur”; therefore, it is excused.

There is no excuse.

Who said anything about a ‘crime’?

He’s being fired because it is the ‘right’ thing to do. Otherwise, it would send a message to the world that saying such remarks should be overlooked because he was ‘drunk.’

posted over 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

There will always be racism and discrimination and I’m not bothered to watch the video! Never a wise idea to segregate one form of discrimination over another..! He still didn’t deserve to get fired over a few comments…if he had had actively engaged in something direct, for instance, firing somone over their ethnicity or whatever, then it would have been justified. In this case, an apology would perhaps sufficed! It wasn’t an excuse!

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password