Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

I vote YES.

Why?
1. There is a similar feeling of anger over police violence in America.
2. The American economy is in bad shape with no sign of it getting any better.
3. The is a similar feeling of unrest and distrust in the ability of the government to affect any change.
4. Culturally, Americans like to pride themselves in having a long history of speaking out against what is wrong, and favor action over quietly negotiating.

Some of my friends have said NO for the reason that:
1. The police are much more aggressive and violent in America. There is a history of public outrage against the police that is quickly quieted through a combination of subterfuge and brute strength.
2. American may be easily angered, but they are lazy about politics. They always think someone else will fix it or that there is nothing that can be done.
3. Some people do not think that the police can do any wrong.

posted almost 8 years ago
JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

No. We Americans have grown lazy and our government keeps us blind, underpowered, and well-fed. We are largely desensitized to violence. I see my country going downhill because of these things, but I also highly doubt that the riots in London are going to accomplish anything other than hurting the middle class who’s stores are getting ransacked.
If they really want to be efficient, take over Buckingham and hold the Queen hostage or something. Hurting the middle class hurts the whole country, American or Briton. However, I also doubt that the rioters are trying to be efficient.

Negative, I know. but those are my thoughts.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

just curious, are you saying that like it’s never happened in US history? because there are a lot of relatively recent notable cases (i.e. the rodney king riots). it’s actually happening right now where I live, it’s just more insular than london’s crazy riots. about a year ago, police for the public transit system shot a guy—they pinned him down and some officer “accidentally” shot him and said he “meant to reach for his taser”. people recorded cellphone videos (which police tried to confiscate), so when that hit the media it caused destructive riots that basically gave people an excuse to smash and burn. the same thing happened AGAIN very recently, so public transit system shut off cell phone service to prevent organizing and “phone-detonated bombs”. that got a bunch of previously uninvolved hackers angry, so they’re mixed up in the protests too.

I guess I’m just more exposed to this sort of stuff because of where I live.. my university is INFAMOUS for rioting, protests, and overall just standing up for what you believe in. it’s happened a lot while I’ve been here—I’ve actually witnessed the SWAT come in and beat some students up. no looting and burning, just a lot of peaceful protests, occasionally taking over buildings and yelling (long story, budget cuts), and some cancelled classes from more involved professors :). when obama was elected president, we were all awaiting the news eagerly in our dorms—immediately after, there was a huge happy riot—most of my floormates and i joined in lol

ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

Like you said, a protest is really different from a riot.

No, I never said that we do not have a history. Just because I listed it as a possible reason on the No side and I said that I am on the Yes side, it does not mean I do not think those points are true. I just lean on the Yes side. Predicting unrest is not like a math problem. There is no right answer until the future proves or disproves it. Then, the answers we make up just become theories for why it happened.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

your question was “do you think the riots in London will eventually happen in America?”, and I was agreeing with you, but made the anecdote they are happening, and have happened..?

ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

ah, sorry for misunderstanding you. i guess it would have been better to ask if you think it will happen in the future than to make it sound like it never happened. thanks! i did not catch that!

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I don’t think that people will be rioting in the US over what’s happening in London… but that’s not what you meant.

Honestly, stuff like that happens pretty frequently here. There’s been several riots spawned by near exact scenarios. The nearest city (to me) recently instated a 9pm curfew for anyone under 18 years because of flash mobs causing havoc. The US is obviously much, much larger than the UK. Is it impossible? Definitely not. Will there be different circumstances? Of course.

brightonb
Style_council
brightonb

There’s several reasons why the riots in England happened and were so damaging. I suppose there are certain things that will make a riot inevitable, especially this moment in time because everyone’s so pissed off with everything. Doesn’t America have a zero tolerance policy?

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password