Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
fashionophile
Style_council
fashionophile

Ashley Judd is releasing a memoir so she’s been touring and giving interviews. During one of her interviews, she slams hip hop culture and says: “As far as I’m concerned, most rap and hip-hop music — with it’s rape culture and insanely abusive lyrics and depictions of girls and women as ’ho’s’ — is the contemporary soundtrack of misogyny.”

You can read her interview here

posted over 8 years ago
opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

Good for her!

posted over 8 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Reading her quote, I’m nodding and kind of thinking, “Tell me something I don’t know!” Though I think she comes off a little racist in this particular quote since she specifically targets rap and hip-hop and names black artists . . . because it’s not just rap and hip hop; there are misogynous songs from most genres— and many sung by women! It’s just standard for popular songs to objectify female anatomy and celebrate male promiscuity while simultaneously painting sexually liberated women as cheap and inferior. (IMO, worst is in women’s music, when any time there’s a woman who has the man you’re interested in, she’s automatically a slut, “ho,” or some other insult to her sexuality, even if there’s no evidence of promiscuity— just you being bitter). Even seemingly innocent songs about “making her want me” or getting her back after she’s rejected you feed off that idea, too, because they suggest that a woman’s choice doesn’t really matter, because you can always just change her mind for her.

However, it sort of raises a question of chicken and the egg. These popular songs and artists may perpetuate rape culture, but they only became popular because we made them so. We are in effect endorsing rape culture in the media we consume. The music industry is not going to change the artists they sign to labels or songs they play on the radio until we stop wanting to hear them.

All that being said, even as a feminist woman I am not terribly fussed about misogyny in music since most of the time it’s so extreme I don’t see how anyone could take it seriously. (I usually just sort of laugh at how ridiculous it is!). I like to believe we’re smart enough not to draw all our ideas about gender roles and relationships from the lyrics of popular songs, in which case they’re not a threat. But maybe I am foolishly optimistic.

posted over 8 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

I also agree with MurasakiNeko, there are numerous of genres that could fall into that category.

I wonder how she interpreted some of the hip hop lyrics she listened. It might make a big difference if she did not analyze the artist’s intent of their song.

posted about 8 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

I agree with MurasakiNeko too. There are so many other genres that should be targeted that degrade women. Don’t just choose one target them all. I appreciate the beginnings of hip hop when the songs were about oppression and poverty in black communities and the songs about puppy love. Once it became commercial and people who do not understand the genre of music got involved it tainted the essence of why hip hop started in the first place. It used to be a way to express your pains and joys through rhythmic poetry and I miss those days. Vote for my shoe please http://hdyd.keds.com/design-contest/designs/316

posted about 8 years ago

teribi
Style_council
teribi

hmmmm…. i agree with what she stands for, that’s why i just don’t appreciate rap/hip hop… it makes me think that the singer’s usually on some kind of drug while singing… not the kind of music i like

posted about 8 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I think while a lot of genres of music have songs that degrade woman and are all about sex, I feel like rap has a lot more of it. I can’t stand enrique iglasias’ (sp?) songs cuz they are about cheating and having sex with this random creeper in the club.

also I think this is a amusing comic: http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d3g36aq

posted about 8 years ago

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

I agree with nannahermanns.

Talk about generalizing.

Same can be said for country music, which I’m sure she’s a fan of because of her family.

posted about 8 years ago

brightonb
Style_council
brightonb

What a load of rubbish.

posted about 8 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

I agree with everyone on here, in the sense that I think what Ashley Judd said is very true. And it has been and will be true for decades about all genres. I think it’s just what is popular at any given time, you tend to generalize.

posted almost 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password