Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

I’ve always wanted one but now that I’m older I really don’t care too much for one. But how old is too old? I was reading on Shine.Yahoo | crystal dots. that a mom was arrested for giving her own 11-year-old son a tattoo (since she was a tattoo artist herself).

How old do you think is too young or too old? I suppose 18 is the right ‘legal’ age since you’re an adult (if you’re in the US that is).

posted about 7 years ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I think most teens are inherently a little rebellious, so you’d have to reach a certain level of maturity to understand the consequences of something permanent. 18 is fine :)

I think it also depends on the size/location and reason behind the tattoo. I mean, something small and hidden that you know will mean something to you 30 years from now—why not?

posted about 7 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I think it depends more on emotional maturity.

I was just thinking about this earlier and at 18, I wanted a really awful tattoo involving bats and song lyrics on my stomach. I’m now very glad I never did that!

posted about 7 years ago

robin77
Style_council
robin77

Most states (in the USA anyway) regulate tattoo artists and the minimum legal age to get “inked.” The age varies state to state. You are never “too old” to get a tattoo! Unless, of course, there are underlying health reasons.

posted about 7 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

True, I also agree with tightsandtea. There has to be that emotional maturity. Unfortunately, 19 year olds and below are still considered “teens,” according to statistics.

posted about 7 years ago

mollyan
Style_council
mollyan

I think 18 is an okay age to get a tattoo.

posted about 7 years ago

Unsocialite
Style_council
Unsocialite

Honestly, I believe it’s more of a maturity issue than age issue.

For example, you have people who are in their 20s (perfectly legal) getting tattoos of sayings such as “gangnum style” and “belieber.” That stuff is nothing more than a trend that they’ll want to remove later on in life. Age doesn’t denote maturity level by any means.

Tattoos are another form of self-expression, but they are pretty much permanent. After all, the pain and scarring of a removal are much more drastic and displeasing than the tattoo itself, typically. In my opinion, tattoos are meant to have personal significance such as a saying that you live by (not “gangnum style”) or a religious symbol that you revere. As such, it requires a great deal of forethought and ruminating before deciding to ink your skin.

posted about 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password