Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Hey guys, i’m just posting this topic to get your advice :)
I’d like to hear from people who have gone to any part of Europe, done a eurotrip or live in europe! (or anyone who has reliable info!)

I’m planning on going on a trip to Europe at the end of the year with my boyfriend, for about 2 months over winter. We really need to start planning it properly but there’s so much to organise I don’t know where to start! I’ve been looking on lots of different websites and stuff but i’d also like to get some first hand opinions and information.
Unfortunately we can’t go everywhere :( so the places we are thinking of visiting are: Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Venice, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Stockholm, and a couple of cities in Poland. This isn’t definite yet though.

Do you think that this is too much to see in two months, or are there places I haven’t said that are a must see? We’d like to see the main attractions in each city but not rush through it too much, how many days would you recommend for each city? What main places/ sights would you recommend too? It would be my first time to Europe but my bf has gone to several different countries there and lived in sweden for more than half a year.

If you’ve gone on a similar trip, what was your budget like? We’ve got enough money for the trip+flights, but how much do you think would be the overall amount we’d spend? We’d be going to the popular tourist attractions in each city, eating out but not in expensive restaurants, and staying in backpacker hostels. We wouldn’t be excessively shopping/buying lots of souvenirs either.

One main thing i’d like advice about is the best way to travel around europe- is it better by train or by plane? Which is cheaper/more convenient? I know you can get a rail pass prepaid for a number of days/trips but is this cheaper/better than paying for rail tickets as you go?

One other thing- how do you dress for winter in europe? Winter here in Australia is nothing compared to snow and -0 temperatures :P So what kind of appropriate footwear/clothing/coats would I need to buy to wear? hehe

I know this is a really big topic and this post covers a lot of different things, but any tips/ advice on any part of what i’ve asked (or anything extra you want to add) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading!!

posted about 10 years ago
RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

Buy a europass!!!! You can get a train and go anywhere. My professors tell me all the time to get one before I go to Europe. Also keep in mine of the conversion from dollars to Euros. I don’t know how it is now but sometimes it’s almost double than the dollar. Try save enough for a cheap hostel roughly 40 euros a night and than food which is ridiculous is some places.

snow
Style_council
snow

I was just in Italy traveling by train. In Venice we also got a “rolling card” which allowed unlimited use of buses and boats, it saved us a lot of money. There’s a discounted rate for students/youth, more info here

LeJohn
Style_council
LeJohn

Not everywhere in Europe is cold in winter… it will be about 15 degrees C (55-60 F) in places like Rome or southern Spain and Greece, sometimes even warmer… though in the Alps and northern Europe it gets prettttty freezing. I’d definitely recommend spain though, it’s beautiful, the people are friendly, shopping in Barcelona is amazing, nightlife in Madrid… Also London, though I’m biased. If you look around in a lot of cities, particularly in the low season (ie winter) you can get beds in decent hostels for 20 euros or even less…

LiliMarleen
Style_council
LiliMarleen

I think 2 months are enough to see a small piece of Europe. :) In some destinations you mentioned I have never been, but in some I was, but mostly that are destinations worth visiting. Really nice are also Swiss cities (for example Bern, Zürich, and Geneva). Took one of Lonely planet tour guide and see what do you find interesting.
About traveling… It also depends where you are going. There are some good cheap flight connections between countries (for example Ryan Air, Easy jet). In some countries is better to rent a car (for example in my native country).
For hostels check this site: http://www.hostelworld.com/.
Well, it’s hard to advise you, because Europe is so diverse.

LeJohn
Style_council
LeJohn

Yeah, it really is so diverse, and it depends what you are looking for – to get a snapshot of different cultures and see as much as you can or to really see a few places. Everyone has a different opinion too (for example I hate Geneva, it’s far too.. sterile, money orientated and straight-laced for me, lol – though the natural setting is beautiful), so you need to think about what kind of places you like personally or whether you just want to experience as much difference as possible, which can be fun too. That probably came out really pretentious.

LiliMarleen
Style_council
LiliMarleen

I agree with you LeJohn. It depends on person and it’s interests. :)

coldlight, if you need more specific information, let us know.

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Thanks so much for the replies guys! :D
We’ve got a Lonely Planet ‘Europe on a shoestring’ guidebook which is pretty handy so far.
I’d love to go to England too, but my bf isn’t very keen. :P I think he’s been before, and since we’re from Australia he wants to visit countries which have completely different lifestyles and cultures to us here (although im sure the uk would be really different as well!) I’d also love to go to Spain and Greece… so many places!!
I know it’s very hard to get a feel of a city/country in less than a week but seeing as we mightn’t be able to visit europe again for many years maybe we should see lots of different countries… but then again it wouldn’t be fun spending a lot of your time traveling. it’s hard to decide!
I really wish Australia wasn’t so far from the rest of the world, it’s so expensive to go anywhere from here (well except for south east asia, flights to there are relatively inexpensive!)

The things we’d be most interested in is the different cultures. For me, i’d probably most enjoy visiting the museums and art galleries :P My bf is probably most interested in the environments of the main cities, walking around and seeing the architecture etc. We aren’t really that interested in going to crazy clubs or partying hard, we’d be more into visiting markets, hehe.

I think we’ll be taking a combination of flights + trains.. Might take some overnight train trips to save on accommodation, is this a good idea?? I also read somewhere that you should plan for 100 euros a day.. which is about $170 Aus… which to be honest seems like a lot.. is this accurate?? I’m sure we could spend a lot less.

If anyone else has other things to add, it would be greatly appreciated :)

LiliMarleen
Style_council
LiliMarleen

About overnight train, I don’t know if that is good idea. I was traveling a couple of times with night train in regular coach and it was exhausting. I think it’s better if you take sleeping car but that usually costs more than regular. You should calculate if it is worth or not.
I think that you could spent about 100€ a day if you calculate sleeping, eating, entrance fees, transport, etc. It also depends on the city. Some cities/countries are quite expensive, others are less expensive.

GermanUschi
Style_council
GermanUschi

hey
I’m german and I’m living in Berlin…you should visit my city…
I’ve been in Austria, France ; Sweden , Turkey , Italy, Spain, Czech, england and some other parts before
I absolutley recommend Paris…. this city is so lovley and the Cote d’azur..(nice , monaco , cannes… etc.).
If you are looking for cheap flights within europe you should visit www.easyjet.com oder www.ryanair.com .
From Berlin to Paris it’s about 25-40 euro (one way) included tax .

If you have questions you can send me a message… I will answer it as soon as I can.

GermanUschi
Style_council
GermanUschi

and there is also something which is called “Interrail” you can travel with train to all parts of europe and i think for 4 weeks its about 400 euro… or something like that

jai02
Style_council
jai02

London Airport Taxi Cab transfer Service

Hi,

I have got a wonderfull and very usefull travel tip for people travllinig to london. They can Book their London Airport Taxi Transfer before hand with HUMMINGBIRD CARS http://www.airportransfers.net/. They are very proffessional in their service. They also Provide 5 % Discount on all return Journey.

Thank You

Chris

Pardeese
Style_council
Pardeese

The best advice I can give you is about how to pack for Europe. If you are going to Europe, pack with a European mindset. Avoid the glut and pack what you need, a few key pieces that can be used for different occasions. When I travel abroad I pack clothing that matches with eachother and has the same color scheme, that way depending on the weather you can really use any pieces with each other accordingly. I am always sure to pack a leather belt that matches the shoes that I will be wearing for most the trip, that way I always look put together regardless of what the rest of the outfit consists of.

Another piece of advice I can offer is in regards to toiletries. Call your hotel ahead of time to see if they have a hair dryer if thats a necessity and pack one or don’t pack one accordingly. Also, take it easy on the toiletry items you pack, you are going to Europe to get a taste of the culture, and one thing you may really notice is how comfortable people are with themselves there and really use their natural looks to their benefit. If you hair is wavy, just let it be wavy, don’t use the harsh straightners and all the other equipment when you travel, it takes up space in your luggage you could use to fill with items that you buy on your trip :0)

On that note, don’t overstuff your luggage! With airlines charging an arm and a leg now for additional suitcases, pack light and leave space to fill with wonderful items you find on your trip! I’m so excited for you have an amazing time!

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

thanks again for the replies, just realised i haven’t bumped this post up for about 2 weeks.. hehe
yeah, i wouldn’t mind taking an overnight train because i can get to sleep anywhere… but my bf is a pretty bad sleeper!

anyone else gone backpacking/ traveling cheap around europe? i’m still wondering whether we should plan a detailed itinerary or just buy some plane tickets and wing it… XD i’ve checked eurail passes online and it’s about $900 AUD for 15 days over 2 months… hmm…

thanks for the packing tips pardeese :) i’ve never gone on a winter holiday before, although i never pack much when i go on summer holidays so hopefully i don’t overpack!! and especially because i have no idea how often we’re going to be able to wash our clothes :P but i’m not really worried about roughing it, my beauty/hair regime isn’t high maintenance at all (actually i don’t even own a hair straightener or a hair dryer! :P )

any other info would be much appreciated :)

LiliMarleen
Style_council
LiliMarleen

If you have intention to travel with cheap flights, like Ryan air, be careful, because they charges extra weight of luggage.
I’m going to Brazil in November and I planned the trip and make reservations for all air tickets, because now they are cheaper than it will be at the day of our travel. The same is with price of air tickets in Europe.

LiliMarleen
Style_council
LiliMarleen

ups. double post.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password